Media fragmentation is making it harder for brands to reach consumers and for media companies themselves to capture and retain a loyal audience. At the same time, consumer trust in traditional advertising is low. A recent research published by BCG shows that the three most trusted sources of information by consumers today are recommendations from family and friends, reviews by experts, and the opinions of other consumers. The least trusted sources are TV ads, brand and company e-mails, company posts on social media, and website ads.
TV ads, company e-mails, company post and website ads, least trusted sources of information by consumers
In this scenario, media companies need to find creative ways to connect with the audiences and, at the same time, retain advertising. We will draft five tips for using marketing content in this particular battle.
1. Social media advertising: It has been a change in the effectiveness of social media advertising in the last few years. Fewer people click nowadays, but a decent amount will actually view and engage. So there’s some benefit to targeting people within a media company’s audience on social media – especially on Facebook. In a content marketing related strategy, advertising stories work the best. Gently push more readers back to the media site, which can then help increase audience size, eventually helping with advertising revenue.
2. Social media publishing frequency: Media companies do create content that can be shared more than once. The New York Times does this really well. When they have pieces that aren’t just useful in the immediate moment, they continue sharing it on Twitter for a few days.
3. Retargeting: Retargeting, also called remarketing, is when you serve an ad to somebody who has been to your website. Often you see that after visiting a site and browsing a product page, once you leave the site, it serves you ads on other sites you visit, promoting you to come back. If people come to your site, read and leave, you need to find a way to get them back. That can help you increase your audience and views, and in return advertising revenue.
4. Email list growths: Email marketing works and content marketers use email pushes to their full advantage to stay connected to their audiences. Of course, media companies do the same and many have good-size email lists. Another advice would be to use tools to quickly grow your list. For this specific case, with your Opennemas site you can adapt the newsletter module and get great results.
5. Targeted advertising: Serve content-related ads to the people that are in your area but that might not be reading you all that often. If you have an interesting story you can create an ad and serve it to your target audience as a display campaign. When possible, also tie it into search engine marketing and go after people who are searching for related things in your market.
So, now that you know a few marketing content strategies, what are you waiting for? Follow our steps and see results! And, remember, If you like to report in your blog, or you simply have a site with information and you have something to say, with Opennemas you can create your own digital site completely free of charge thanks to everything that our content management system offers you. Do you want to know how? Click here, and we'll tell you how.